Sunday, April 4, 2010

Weekly Garden Update

Two weeks into growing our garden...

Here's our pathetic cauliflowers, located under the deck.  Some get more sun than the other, and I guess the soil isn't as good.  I gave them some plant food yesterday, so hopefully they will grow better in the next few weeks.  If you can't tell, there are six cauliflower plants in this pic.  They're really small :(
From Cooking Possibilities

Lettuces and bak choy, on the other hand, are growing fast and big!!!!  Being on the deck is a huge advantage!  with plenty of sunlight.
From Cooking Possibilities

From Cooking Possibilities

BIG NEWS in the garden this week!  Our pepper seeds are sprouting!  This is so awesome.  Cameron didn't think it would work, and was planning to buy pre-grown peppers from Home Depot in a month or so.  I read on a blog about making your own container using newspaper.  So I tried that out.  I also planted some in leftover yogurt cups.  I thought they were the perfect size for starting out.  It turns out, only the ones in the yogurt cups sprouted so far.  I think they retain water a lot better.  (Water escaped way too fast in the newspaper version.) 
From Cooking Possibilities

New to the garden this week:  We went to Home Depot to pick up a bag of mulch, and saw strawberry plants for sale.  So we picked one up, just to see how they grow.  I heard that home grown strawberries taste 100 times better.  So we're pretty eager to see how this would turn out.  The tag also says they're perennial, so if all goes well, we will have more strawberries next year too! 
From Cooking Possibilities


That's it for this week.  Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment